A day in the life in “Lockdown” and a book review 📚

Hiya,

I hope, as ever, this post finds you really well and maybe even enjoying the lovely sunshine today. Whilst the world is a bit crazy at the moment, at least the sun is shining and the birds are singing. It makes you feel at least some things are normal (though we are in England, is sun normal?)

I thought it may be nice to document my day today, for anyone who is THAT bored and also for future me. I’ve realised how I love blogging more than any other sharing on social media because unlike photos it gives me an insight to my thoughts and ideas at the time, and I think that’s pretty cool to look back on. It’s also really calming to write and I do recommend it to anyone wishing to write a diary but doesn’t have the stamina to write daily. You could write it just for yourself and never share it anywhere. Give it a go :)

So today started early for me, I woke up actually really refreshed for a change at 7.30am after falling asleep at 9.45pm last night. Normally I’m a getting to sleep insomniac and it can take two hours or longer to fall asleep  but after going for a walk with the Mumma yesterday over some fields locally I was pretty tired and fell asleep in minutes. The fields yesterday were so pretty! Buttercups and marigolds lines the pathways and the sun was so hot with cool breezes to be had in the shade. It was lovely.

Back to today-I made breakfast and had coffee and then decided to go on a walk for about 20 minutes which was lovely to do. There’s something really nice about getting in the fresh air when the day is just beginning. It sounds clichè but there’s a feeling of new possibilities in the morning, the birds are singing and there’s a chill in the air before the sun breaks through that is really refreshing. After this I had a long call with my boyfriend Jack before he headed to work. It’s so weird that we haven’t been able to have a chat without a window between us or a hug for over six weeks, we also know so many others have it worse and that not seeing each other for a month or so is worth it but it still feels so weird! The phone call’s are definitely the best part of my day and I feel so lucky to be able to have a mobile and the privilege to chat so easily.


Afterwards I set about to finish the rest of the book I’ve been reading in the past week, “Call the midwife” by Jennifer Worth. Having watched the TV series religiously (no pun intended) since it first broadcast when I was fourteen, it’s fair to say I knew the genre would be right up my street. It was actually my lovely friend Leanne who gave it to me (Thank you again Leanne!) and I’m so glad she did. If you want to read heartbreaking, shocking, eye opening and fascinating stories of the real people that frequented the East-end of London in the 1950s, in particular in Poplar, then PLEASE give it a read, you’ll love it. I’ve definitely got the reading bug at the moment so straight after I started a small book simply entitled “The Summer Book” by Tove Jannson. It is by the same author that created the classic ‘Moomins’ cartoons and is translated from Finnish. It’s more like a collection of short stories than a book, about a fictional Grandma and Granddaughter that live on a small remote island in Sweden and live off the land. It’s very matter-of-fact on life and death but also magical and curious and I’m loving it. There’s many scary things happening right now and I feel more grateful than ever to be surrounded by books, where you can jump into different worlds and feel lucky to have more time than ever to appreciate them.

Before this, a few weeks ago I finished “The Silence Of The Girls” by Pat Baker, that was a more challenging read (for me anyway) and took a couple of months to finish but was amazing. It told the story of the Trojan War from the viewpoint of Briseis, who becomes a slave to Achilles and is used as a prize to be won countless times. It’s an amazing story, but to have come to it from a female perspective was incredible when the retelling of it throughout history is almost entirely from a male perspective. I 100% recommend even if you don’t know anything about this time in history (as I didn’t).

After reading I decided to bake some cakes with my Mum to put them in the oven for me as clumsy is an understatement! As I’m gluten and dairy free, finding good cake recipes can be hard and as a keen baker I’m always trying new ones! I thought I’d make some in preparation for the VE celebrations on Friday. I think many people all over the country will be celebrating in their own socially-distanced unique way, our street included! We have got bunting to adorn the windows with, Union Jack table cloths and cake stands at the ready to have sandwiches, cake and tea in our front garden and I for one am ready for it!

After icing the cakes (that turned out surprisingly well with the addition of Xantham gum to bind) the rest of the day has involved more reading with a cup of tea outside and a phone call with my Nana. I know my Dad fancies a homemade soup for tea so no doubt Mum and I will be starting some minestrone soon too!

I hope you’re having a lovely day and as ever thank you if you take the time to read this. I’d love to know what you’re up to, so if you want feel free to drop a message!

Love,

Mol x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.