What should emerge from Latitude? But a new love of podcasts

Hello!

How’a you doing? Gooooood!

After arriving back from the wonderful Latitude festival in Henham Park, Suffolk yesterday, I’ve got to say what an eye opening trip it was. This was not only because of the amazing acts my Mum and I got to see, hearing the likes of George Ezra, Aurora, Freya Ridings, The Stereophonics, Sigrid and Lana Del Ray. It was mainly because of all the other arts we became unexpectedly open to. Frank Skinner and Tiff Stevenson graced us with their comedy, Doctor’s talked of the new books they’d published and we saw a couple of podcasts being recorded live for Spotify.

Prior to the festival I can’t say I was very taken with podcasts, I hadn’t really taken the time to listen to them. A lot of my spare time seems to be taken up with watching YouTube - something (believe it or not) I’ve only got into this year. However, the mix of activities open to you at Latitude, means that you find yourself learning and listening to things you normally wouldn’t... I think this is the brilliance  of such a big and eclectic festival.

One such podcast was called “Talk Art” lead by actor Russel Tovey (who I have to admit was the main reason I got drawn in as I’d watched so many things he’d been in) and gallerist  Robert Diament. The pair first became close friends through sharing a love of art and their podcast officially started in October last year. Each podcast consists of them interviewing famous artists, actors and journalists who also share their love of art and discuss what inspires them in the art world.

Being someone who loves colours and prints but doesn’t know the slightest thing about art, other than visiting Barbara Hepworth’s house and studio in St Ives this year, I was surprised at how much their talk captivated me. It was with an feminist author/actor who was very famous, yet I’m still not sure of her name! I found her story and background fascinating as an insight to her love of art. I’m actually waiting for the podcast to be up on Spotify to read more about said Wonder Woman, and I’m sorry to not sound more clued up in this post. I knew, however I wanted to document my new and growing love for “Talk Art”. Having listened to it for a lot of my day I can say I’ve learnt more about the art/design background of Janet Street Porter and about an amazing artist, Rose Wylie.

My new found love highlights how there is so much out there to explore, that you’re unaware of. Have a listen and let me know what you think!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.