Citadel Festival 2019 (Take me back)



Hello,


What an immensely busy few days it's been...Or rather 36 hours!




Yesterday, with the very kind assistance of my Poppa, we travelled to Gunnersbury Park in London for the hugely anticipated (well, by me anyway) Citadel Festival. As I LOVE LOVE LOVE festivals and as I didn't blog 'Y Not' last year, I wanted to blog this one. I only have my review of Fusion Festival last year to look back on here: with absolute love for Sophie who kindly let me review for Music And Gigs.




So, I'll start at the very beginning (a very good place to start). Waking up to be out for 8.20 am didn't feel too bad by the time we had got to the station and boarded the train to London Euston. Once in the bustling city, we headed on the underground to Acton Park, the nearest Tube Station to Gunnersbury Park. Before this however, we made a very necessary stop for breakfast (very kindly given by my Pop) in Leicester Square. Here we sat at a lovely Lebanese restaurant, whilst watching a dare-devil street performer entice the crowds in.


Once we were completely re charged on omelette, we decided to venture to Acton Park and once there joined the thousands walking the five minute walk to Gunnersbury Park. I could tell as soon as we walked out of the tube station that this is what I'd been waiting and saving six months for. No longer did it feel that we were in London, where the expanse of the city means that people often seem uncommunicative. Crowds adorned in glitter, a mismatch of prints and all applying sun-cream liberally graced our eyes. It was going to be a good day.




Walking into the park, we were ultimately struck by it's prettiness and familiarity, as it felt so similar to the wonderful Longton Park, back in Stoke. Quaint park-keepers huts and greenery covered the area as thousands of festival goers headed to the main entrance. Before this Dad and I found the accessibility information point and collected Dad's PA Ticket and viewing platform pass. The team at Lovebox/Citadel I've got to say were so friendly and helpful and we were again made to feel like everyone was just there to help and have fun! 




After having our bags searched and our tickets scanned we were allowed access to the park. Quickly we decided to get our bearings before buying food/viewing the line up! Boy, was the site big!


Every kind of food imaginable was being served from friendly make shift vans. From Churros to paella, from cocktails to cookie dough!


Food wasn't the only thing on offer... comedy in the form of the 'Sunday Papers' was being performed, whilst poets were giving dramatic readings. People were taking the best 'Instagram-able'  pictures in fancy dress outfits or against make-shift living room backdrops. There was even a mass yoga stretch to get involved in if you were feeling that way inclined!


Most people were doing the same as me and dad and finding comfy spots of grass to rest on, whilst enjoying the warmth of the beautiful day! This gave us time to get chatting to a couple who had found the times of the line-ups and kindly forwarded it to us.


Whilst many bands graced the three main stages, Dad and I saw four and they were all amazing!
Firstly, The Coronas, an Irish band that previously I'd only heard of in passing. Their music was amazing and I'll definitely be adding them to my Spotify playlist!


After them it was the DMA's that we next saw and classics like "In the air" didn't fail to entertain.


The next band we saw came on at 6.40pm and that was the one and only Bastille. Before the festival I'd say I liked a few of their songs, but until I heard Bastille live, I didn't realise just how much I liked them. I have to say as someone who has seen quite a few bands now, Bastille was one of the BEST bands I've seen live. Front-man Dan Smith's voice is absolutely INCREDIBLE live. What an absolutely amazing performance.








Lastly, but by no means least were the band I'd been truly waiting to see and the whole reason I booked the festival in the first place back in April. Catfish and The Bottlemen graced the stage at 8.20pm and I have only been as excited as when I saw them live last year for the first time at Y Not.
As any regular reader of this blog will know, Catfish are my favourite band of all time. Their pop/rock/alternative genre, their catchy lyrics, their relatable front-man Van, their edgy cover art that plasters all three albums... The 'reason's to love' list goes on. Playing belters like "Cocoon", "Conversation" and "7" to name but a few in their hour and a half set. I didn't stop singing the whole way through and neither did the crowds, even when piling out of the park and into tube stations. "I'm only looking out for you" could be heard vibrating round London Underground and quite frankly, it was magnificent.




Citadel, Thank you.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.