Book review from sunny St Ives πŸ–

Hello!

As I’m currently in the beautiful seaside town in Cornwall, I have been doing a lot of relaxing and a lot of reading. One of the things I love most about holidays, especially when it’s warm, is just being able to sit and read without a rush to be doing something else. I think this is one of the most luxurious things ever and I don’t think I’ll ever tire of it.

The first book I want to talk about, is actually a book that I’m reading for a book club that I sometimes go to back home. Our next coffee meet is at the end of the month and I thought it’d take me much longer to read the book (having purchased it second-hand less than a week ago). However, it’s just been too gripping, too fascinating, that I haven’t been able to put it down. For the last three days my trips to the beach have all involved getting this out of my bag. It’s the amazing The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. Whilst this book is now starting to be considered a classic (or perhaps always has been I’ve just been unaware of it) and was published way back in 1986, I have only just got my hands on it in 2019. I’m really glad I did, after seeing it on the reading list for this month and ordering it. Atwood’s thought processes, attention to detail, knowledge of humanity - including the huge flaws in human nature, are exquisite. I won’t go too much into the plot as I’m sure most people may be aware of the premise, after a hugely popular TV series of the book started a few years ago. Although, I do love how whilst it’s dystopian, it could be set on todays society. This makes the events that unfold chillingly capable in the strangest of ways.  It’s definitely my favourite book I’ve read this year so far, and probably one of my all time favourite books now too.

Another much smaller book, or read, that’s had me fascinated is Greta Thunberg’s book of speeches entitled No one is too small to make a difference. I actually picked this up today on a bookshop in the village, as it initially caught my eye with should a powerful title. I realised quickly that this was a collection of speeches from Greta, a girl who in 2018 decided not to go to school one day and to strike against the ignorance towards climate change. This little book at only 68 pages is one of the most powerful things I’ve read and is so so so important in opening the eyes of us who are aware of climate change, who try our best to recycle and be “greener” but aren’t as panicked by global warming as we should be. In her speeches Greta urgently makes us aware of the implications if we keep believing everything will be ok, as she’s saying not enough is being done. I want everyone I know to read it, not that reading alone will help but maybe it will educate enough to make us think more about our individual carbon footprint.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this post and if you have any other book recommendations, please let me know in the comments.

Happy reading!

Molly x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.