Baking day - Sweet potato, cheese and onion gluten free pie🥧

Hello!!

How’re you today??

I hope you’ve been enjoying the warm but rainy weather. With all seriousness it’s nice just to have a bit of warmth now so I’m not minding the rain - it’s nice to be able to finally pull out my daffodil crop top for a change!  ðŸŒ¼

Today has been the best of days off, in a busy and relaxed way all at once. I met my lovely best mate, Anna, for a coffee and catch up in town, before heading home to bake a pie. I fancied having something in that I could eat over a few days for convenience, but that was also super healthy and made me smile on the inside. A cute little deli in my town does the most AMAZING sweet potato and onion pie so I thought “I’ll give it a go”.

Whilst cooking is very tiring and I have to keep sitting down and resting at each stage (PoTS life I tell you🤗), I really feel relaxed when baking and try to do it on my days off wherever possible.

I didn’t follow any real recipe with this other than Free’s recipe for a gluten free shortcrust pastry which I’ll hyperlink below and was super easy. So I thought I’d share it with you in case you fancied a dabble into the baking world too.

Happy baking!

Once you’ve made the pastry with the recipe here: https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/free-from-shortcrust-pastry

The filling is really simple. Bake three to five sweet potatoes (can be medium to small) in the oven after washing and coating in oil (I use olive) - 200•c fan for 40/45 minutes. When cooked scoop out the filling and leave to cool.

Whilst cooking chop one red onion and lightly fry until soft. Wait until cool and then mix this with the sweet potato mash and add a generous amount of dairy-free cheese. (I like the lacto-free one best).

Once you’ve lined your dish with the pastry, top with the mixture and bake for 40 minutes at 200•c, until the pastry is shrinking from the sides and the top is browning.

And Voila! Enjoy!

Molly x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.