Book Review - Heartburn by Nora Ephron

Hello!

I hope this post finds you really well and happy this Saturday evening :)

The interesting thing about this book is I almost brought it a month or so back when I had book vouchers. I really find it so hard choosing books, I find people quite easy to read, books not so much 😂 and so I didn’t end up buying it.

With my book voucher I ended up buying “Everything I know about love” by Dolly Elderton which should be a classic similar to Bridget Jones for us gals, and so I have no regrets. I’d seen Heartburn on the shelf, though but decided against it for another book I just couldn’t get into and ended up giving away pretty soon after. I can’t even remember the name of it? However, what I did notice in the reviews at the back of Alderton’s book is that her writing style and humour was likened to Nora Ephron’s.

After a quick search I found that this author I was indeed going to buy alongside Dolly’s book weirdly enough?! After checking if I could order it in from my local library (apparently I could not, whilst the book had been re released rather beautifully by Virago Modern Classics in 2018, it was originally first published in 1983) I proceeded to buy a second hand copy from Amazon and I’m so glad I did.

I can’t explain the story line in brief with most books, to me they seem so much more than that and so much more encompassing that I can no where near do credit. I will say that Ephron’s humour is incredible, she has such a dry wit - but I suppose this is to be expected, having directed classic films like When Harry met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle. The story itself is about a woman who finds her husband to be having an affair when she is herself seven months pregnant and trying to look after her little boy. The story sounds less than cheery but the events that unfold and Rachel’s  (the main protagonist) humour makes it somehow funny, cutting and memorable.

I’m so glad I’ve finally been introduced into a world of Nora Ephron’s writing. May it one day continue as I pick up another of her books at random in a book shop.

Molly x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.