Book Review - ‘Not dead yet’ by Phil Collins


Book review of Phil Collins’s Autobiography - ‘Not Dead Yet’

Hey, how’re you doing?

I feel like writing today and after watching Taylor Swift’s interview with ‘Time’ in which she says “everything is copy”, I thought I’d do a book review 📚.

This particular book is over 400 pages and normally I wouldn’t read something that long. Whilst I love stories and characters and arcs and cliffhangers, whilst I love literature in general - I’ve never actually found it easy to read. I was never that child that was a book worm, I would’ve much rather been swimming. As I’ve grown I’ve realised how amazing some stories can be and if I get into one, then it can seem a breeze.

This book is one of those. I found it in a really cool Oxfam book shop in my city, whilst waiting for my Mum to do her shopping. I don’t think I would’ve thought about reading Phil Collins’s autobiography, if it wasn’t for the fact about a year and a half previously I’d seen it in a library. On this particular day I’d been waiting for a friend to meet for coffee and had some time to kill, so I went to the music section and pretty much picked up the first thing I saw with a name I recognised. I didn’t know much at all about Collins, other than he was/is and amazing drummer, singer/songwriter and was in the band genesis. I quickly found I’d read the first couple of chapters and felt really comfortable with the laid back, funny and honest writing on the page. I then realised I was late for coffee and forgot all about the book until last month when I saw it again.

I brought it and have been reading it most days for the past month. I think I like it not just because it tells of a talented man’s extraordinary life, but because of his down-to-earth honest humour that I feel comes through so strongly.

It’s such an interesting book and would really recommend it, in fact my Dad is now due to start it himself.

Alongside this I’m about to finish a beautifully simple Japanese fiction book called “Kitchen” by Banana Yoshimoto - which I will upload a review for in a few days :)

Thank you for reading

Molly xx  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.