Are Blossoms overated or simply reassuring to millennials?

In a world where “Indie” bands are getting more and more popular, where working class heroes are gracing our stages with relatable lyrics like never before, is there such a thing as too much indie?

On a trip with a friend who has always had similar tastes in music to myself, we were discussing this. It’d been a long time since we had last caught up and one of the first questions I asked when getting into the car was “So, what you listening to?”. Having shared love of sixties icons like the Beatles, seventies legends like Cream and obviously adoration for the affect the Gallagher’s had on the noughties, I was intrigued to know if any new bands had fallen off my radar.

Yet my friend’s reply threw me. “Blossoms”.

This band, originating from Manchester, formed in 2013 and according to Wikipedia* started playing their first major festivals in 2014. Their music is extremely popular, with songs like “Honey Sweet” and “Charlemagne” gaining huge commercial success.

For some reason though, this is one of the indie bands I just can’t quite get into. Maybe it’s because The 1975 had already caught me with their synth/pop beats a few years earlier, or maybe because I’m just a bit bored of illusive love lost lyrics. The interesting thing is though, bands like Pale Waves are still singing about the all encompassing power of love in youth and I still listen. Perhaps I like to have  something extra to a catchy beat and in this case it’s got to be Heather Baron-Gracie’s amazing style.

Maybe it’s me being a bit too cynical but I feel a lot of Indie bands are getting a bit “samey” and to get my attention you have to do something different from the rest.

What do you think?

Molly x





* Source found 16/3/2018
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blossoms_(band)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.