Lush Henna Hair Dye Review - Caca Marron (THE nicest hair dye ever!!)

Within my Lush purchases I recently reviewed in my previous post, I also brought some of their solid henna hair dye. I’d been iffing and arring for ages as to whether or not to try it out and I’m really so glad I did!

I have naturally mouse brown hair with blonde bits naturally woven through and back on my late teens I was quite experimental with colour. I’ve been blonde, chestnut, brown with blonde ends, brown with pink ends, brown with purple ends and of course red. I think that hair grows so fast and life is too short not to experiment whilst I was studying and not working. Now I’m older I never feel my natural colour is exciting enough for me, whilst I think people look so beautiful with natural hair of all colours, I just like change. I also can be quite pale and I think sometimes brightness can make you look healthier (always a good thing).

Since starting to work and also not having lots of money to go to get my hair dyed, I was eager to have a change that was natural looking and cheap whilst at the same time keeping my hair in good condition. Lush Henna was the answer I was looking for.

They have four colour options to choose from:

  • Caca Rouge - which leaves a vibrant red hue
  • Caca Brun - which leaves an auburn/chestnut hue
  • Caca Marron - which leaves a glossy brown hue
  • Caca Noir - which gives an intense indigo/black

I chose the second option as I didn’t want bright red but I did definitely feel like auburn was my happiest colour and best suits my skin type. At £11.95 for a block which covers my medium to long hair perfectly it’s very cheap for colour, easy (ish) to apply and is completely natural/vegan and free from harsh chemicals - which were all major factors in my decision to take the plunge. I love Lush as a company anyway, and I’ve always loved the natural dye that henna can give ever since I was 17 and used to buy tubes of it to pattern my hands. 


What is Henna? 

The Lush U.K. website states that “Henna is a plant native to the Middle East, which has been used since ancient times to dye the skin and hair”. 


How does it come? 

Again, as stated on the Lush U.K. website: “Henna bricks are made from the finest quality Persian henna, and are completely free from synthetic dyes. They are made with the dried leaves of the henna plant, which are ground into a powder, mixed with Fair Trade, organic cocoa butter and then formed into a brick”


I must stress that before you try any dye you must do a patch test on a small section of hair to ensure you’re happy with the colour and that you don’t react to the dye, as dyes go Henna is one of the most natural yet there is always a possibility and every single person is different.

What did I do? 

After purchasing Caca Marron from my local store, I was given gloves to apply the henna with a full instruction booklet telling me more about the product and how to apply it as well as being directed to the Lush tutorials on YouTube that show you how it’s done. My friend then kindly helped me apply it to ensure I got a full coverage (although some do it alone). The Henna comes as a solid block which you then chop into small pieces and melt down in a Bain Marie rather like melting chocolate, as well as adding boiling water little by little to the Henna itself. When it is a rich, glossy consistency I applied it all over my hair (from root to tip) ensuring every strand is covered completely. Once this is done as I wanted to bring out as much of the natural red in the henna as possible I wrapped my hair tightly in clingfilm to ensure as much heat as possible stays in. This is needed for the red dye to take, whereas as I was told if you want more chocolatey tones you leave it to air more. I left mine on for about 3 hours 45 minutes (the guide is anything from 2-4 hours). I then rinsed it all off in the shower (this can be very messy to be prepared to clean surfaces after) and after 3 shampoo rinses it was all out and ready to dry. It dried as a gorgeous glossy deep red colour that I love and hoped for. It feels so  shiny and soft because of the essential oils.

An amazing product that I would highly recommend!
X

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.