Book Review - L’art de la simplicite (How to live more with less) by Dominique Loreau

With over 350,000 copies sold world wide, ‘L’art de la simplicite’ is a book that has been on my ‘to read’ pile for months. After seeing it in a shop when in London, sitting there in pure white and gold glory, I knew I had to have it. I promptly purchased a second hand copy on amazon as soon as I returned home (I am a student, after all) and have to say it has changed my outlook massively.

Loreau, a French essayist who has lived in japan since the 1970’s, has adopted a lifestyle of minimalism and simplicity in accordance with ancient Japanese teachings. Her belief that “less is more” is the underpinning message in the book. Losely defined as a ‘self help’ read she explains in the forward that it is for anyone “In search of a simpler life, in mind, body and spirit” explaining that “simplicity is beautiful because it brings hidden joys”.

Split into three parts entitled “Materialism and Minimalism”, “Body” And “Mind”, Loreau covers all areas of life and wellbeing in order to make a person aware that they have all the resources they need to live a happy, balanced life. Covering ideas on material possession, order and cleanliness being important rituals in a busy world and the importance of singular good quality items as opposed to their cheaper counterparts, this book can benefit everyone.

There were some chapters I felt didn’t apply to me and others I was in desperate need of reading. Despite reading it all, I feel because of how simply the book is broken down, you could access the chapters most suited to you when you need them. My outlook is more positive and free as a result and it will be one of the few books I keep and will refer back to in years to come.

A must read for anyone feeling that the busy nature of life/social media/ accumulation of ‘stuff’ is taking over. I can’t recommend it highly enough and can’t wait to get my hands on her next book “L’art de la Liste” that’s available for pre order and comes out on the 1st November this year.

Happy reading!
Molly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.