Appreciation of (in my humble opinion) one of the best female artists there is - P!nk.

Hey,



How are you all doing? I hope this post finds you really well, as always.



I was sitting in the car today, after attempting to go to college and then finding it's an admin day (I'd been poorly for a bit and hadn't realised) and realised how much I miss blogging and mentally made a note to write a post, so here I am.



I'm currently trying to get through some of my coursework project, with everything strewn all over my bed (I genuinely need to see everything at all times evidently to understand everything?) and it got to that point where my brain was like "Right, you've been working for a bit, you're getting bored, have a break". I found myself putting on P!nk's "What about us" and literally listened to it three times back-to-back.


I've mentioned this phenomenon before, if I really love a song, especially when I first hear it, that week I'll just play it on repeat. Some of you may be thinking that's a little too far, you can only listen to a song a certain number of times before you're bored. And you'd be right. But, nonetheless this is how a song hooks me and with P!nk's songs this is nearly always true.


Referring to the title of this post I think, and of course this is just my opinion, that P!nk is one of the best female artists there is - Why? I hear you ask - I'll tell you. Not only has she got one of the strongest female voices I know, a voice that can belt out break up anthems or pop/rock melodies, but her sheer range of incredible songs is something to be hotly contested. I can't think of many other artists in general that I can put on within a random playlist and genuinely love and know the words to most of the songs. Like most people I have many artists that I'll happily keep coming back to, even despite all the new music that's being released each and everyday. Artists that pull me back, just as I love their vocals or lyrics or even ethos, but there isn't many that I can say that I truly love 95% percent of what they release. However, P!nk breaks this glass ceiling, in many ways.


The reason I decided to write a whole blog post in gushing my adoration for her however wasn't sparked by her successive smashing of singles, but of a speech she made a couple of months ago, that most will have no doubt seen. I'd briefly heard that the speech was inspiring and dedicated to her daughter, but I hadn't got around to watching it. I literally watched it just (if you haven't search "P!nk's VMA speech" and you should find it), and it moved me to tears. The message she was giving to her daughter and then subsequently the rest of the audience, and now indeed the world, reminded me how much P!nk inspired me growing up.


I've always been around music and I think this is the basis for me absolutely loving it and depending on it to get me through life to this day. I remember really vividly my mum blasting out a P!nk CD on the half an hour journey it took us to get to primary school. I remember that P!nk's songs are some of the first I ever learnt the lyrics and sang back to, and along with Avril Lavigne, I can honestly say she was my first proper celebrity "role model". My Mum herself had always taught me to be proud of being female, to be strong, to help people and be kind, but that it was always okay to be opinionated and not go along with the crowd just because you may feel scared of being different. Now, she was showing me female artists who believed the same, who were strong, who looked different to other female artists at the time but embraced their differences and owned them.


It may sound silly, having all these opinions about a person I've never met, but watching her speech
whilst accepting the 'Video Vanguard Award' in August, reminded me of all this, of loving her music growing up, of thinking "I want to be as feisty as her".


Within the speech she addresses her daughter, explaining a situation that had arisen whereby a conversation in the car had lead to her daughter saying "I'm the ugliest girl I know". P!nk explained she "didn't say anything" but when she got home she made her daughter a Powerpoint presentation featuring all the androgynous rockstars and artists who live their truth but were probably made fun of everyday, yet continued regardless to "wave their flag" inspiring the rest of us. P!nk wanted to know why her daughter felt this way, because she explained "when people make fun of me, that's what they use. They say I look like a boy or I'm too masculine or I have too many opinions, my body is too strong". But then she asked her daughter whether she saw that her Mum change herself to fit in with these ideologies, her daughter replied no.


The speech ended with P!nk saying "We take the gravel and the shell and make a pearl. And we help other people to change so they can see more kinds of beauty."


And, really I can't say anymore - just that it was one of the most inspiring and truthful speeches I'd heard in a while. All's I know is, that I'll keep 'raising my glass' to P!nk for many more years to come.


Thank you for reading,
Molly x





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.