The smiths - Rubber ring/What difference does it make?

Hey,

I feel like going back a couple of years and reviewing music tonight. I don't feel this will be my most eloquent post as I'm currently in bed not feeling too good, but that's why I want to write. Having always loved music, I've always known how wonderful it is. Working at Hospital Radio let me in to a world that proved no matter how weak or lonely someone can feel whilst poorly, most will always request a song if they can. Isn't that extraordinary? As long as you can physically hear and your head isn't hurting as part of your ailment, most people feel mentally so much better to hear a song that speaks to them or takes them back to a moment in time.

Today I've felt like music once again really is a friend, after college I've spent most of it in bed and whilst I can't feel sorry for myself (it is what it is), sometimes when I don't feel like talking as I'm too exhausted, music is so comforting and just makes me feel like it'll all be ok in a few days.

Ironically this is what The Smith's 'Rubber Ring' is all about. It's about songs you listen to at certain points in your life that sort of get you through and forever remain special. Although Morissey points out that when everything's good we abandon this music for hedonism (*cough* dream on Mol) and when "you're dancing and laughing and finally living" to hear his voice and "think of him kindly".
I first heard of this song, despite LOVING albums like 'Hatful Of Hollow' for ages, only about 6 months ago whilst watching some kind of documentary on The Smiths. I just remember they asked loads of musicians whom went into the music industry through partially being inspired by the band, what their all-time favourite Smiths track was. Out of about ten interviewed I'm pretty sure around three said "Oh god. Rubber ring".

They explained it encapsulated all that music was for them, this amazing art form that never deserts the seeking (God, could you get a more pretentious sentence there?) and on hearing this song they thought perhaps they should listen closer to Morrisey's lyrics in attempt to gain transcendence from the wonder that he is.

I of course, after hearing such rave reviews and marvelling at the name somewhat (still don't get the relevance, he's a pragmatical marvel is Morrisey), had to listen to the song in question.

I have to admit I don't identify with ALL of The Smiths music, some is too dark or complex but I instantly got what Rubber ring was all about - or at least I think I did? (Art in all its forms ey?). From then on this track and of course my second track "What difference does it make?" have to be my two favourites (at this point in my life anyway).

As far as "what difference does it make?" goes, I can't say the lyrics speak to me on the same level as Rubber ring, what makes me love it just as much is the intro. Once you hear it you'll never forget it I promise. The song is just genius and despite not knowing anything about song writing I can say that I think it's a cracker of a song if ever there was one (told you I don't know anything about song writing, so don't expect a more profound review than that).


All in all, two amazing songs that definitely make the world richer.

I hope you have the loveliest night, whatever you have planned!

Thank you so much for reading,
Love,
Molly x







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.