Book Review - The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

Book Review - The Book Thief
5/5 stars

So, considering this is not only my first proper post after introducing this blog, never mind my first book review, some of you may be thinking-is she crazy?! Giving a book the highest rating (on my own self actualised scale admittedly, stop laughing). But yes, I do not go back on this rating. To me, 'The Book Thief', being one of the best books I've read in my life so far, deserves every one of those five stars.

Set in pre Second World War Nazi Germany, The Book Thief is a tale of plight, of bravery, of love and of the significance of words. When Orphan Liesel Memminger leaves behind her old life shaken by fear, she finds shelter in the hands of Hans and Rosa Hubermann. Along the way finding love in many forms, and the beauty held in words, this is a story not just of Liesel but of everyone in the town of Molching; from the rich to the poor and the respected to the outcast.

I was given the book as a present a couple of days after my 20th Birthday and finding it on my doorstep made me so happy. I'd watched the film adaptation when it first premiered in 2013 and had meant to get around to reading it since. Studies got in the way, but to be given a book right in the middle of summer filled me with so much happiness and I finished it (even with bad bouts of illness, when I felt too tired to read) two and a half weeks later. I'm not a big reader by any means and it is not a short book at just over five hundred pages, but let this not deter you. It is worth every second. Zusak has a skill for captive story telling in a way I have yet to have means to compare and the unorthodox omniscient narrator makes for an absolutely brilliant story.
If you have read it you will know what I mean and if you haven't, I suggest you read the first chapter. I can almost promise you'll be on the last one before you know it and be hesitant to leave the characters that so quickly become friends.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough, so much so that I've already lent my copy and actually brought a copy for another friend!

Molly

P.s- That being the first book review I've ever written, may not be the best, but I hope in time to get better (wish I could actually get a little star rating app at the top).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to breeze through festival season with a chronic illness

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.