Reigniting my love of DVDs and cosy films I have re-watched this month 📽
You would think that the wonderful summer we are currently having may have persuaded me to get outside in the evenings and soak up every opportunity, and whilst this in some ways is very true and I do love a good evening-stroll, I have been leaning into DVDs again and reminiscing over wonderful films.
A big part of romanticising life with limited energy, is finding different kinds of entertainment at home, particularly when I have used my energy for the day and I'm needing to recharge in a way that doesn't involve mindlessly scrolling my phone.
This is actually harder than it looks, as often walking more is out of the question if I want to have any energy to use the next day. I usually start looking at activities that I can do sitting down, whilst still keeping my brain relatively active.
I have been loving wordsearches, keeping an up-to-date diary, and occasionally scrapbooking - as well, of course as reading and writing creatively as much as I possibly can - but sometimes there are gaps left that need more filling. To some people this may sound idyllic, and I do appreciate that I am fortunate to be able to rest, but I probably should say here that the alternative to me not resting is me not moving and becoming so ill I cannot leave my bed. In this way the rest I need isn't quite as idyllic as it may appear, it is necessary but highly restrictive to someone who loves to work, to learn, to be active. It is not something I will let myself feel shame for, to need rest, especially in a society that struggles to comprehend invisible illnesses and dynamic disabilities, but it is not easy. It often feels like a cage that appears gilded to others but is still a cage. It is my instinct to make the cage as lovely as I can.
The best thing I can do for my body is lead as active and fulfilling life as possible, whilst not running it so far into the ground by doing too many day-to-day tasks that it cannot function. For this reason, I am always on the lookout for activities I can do that do not take too much concentration, but take enough for my mind to feel stimulated. I have realised that whilst I do love parts of social media such as connection, shared hobbies and finding new reading recommendations, that the light from my phone screen drains me a lot more than the light from a TV screen, for example. This is where films come in.
My husband does not read, but is a massive film-buff. He always opts for a cinema trip over most other things, where as usually I am the opposite. Give me a book or a museum to wander and you have what feels like the perfect cosy day. However, I have been leaning into his preferred art form, in the evenings when it feels like so much of the day is still there to be explored.
As someone who doesn't have a big income, I also love that DVD's are so cheap to acquire these days, compared to extremely expensive streaming services. I also love that they can of course, be watched over and over again. I can get films on sale in my library for 25p or a selection of five from my local charity shop for £1. It is such a low cost activity to partake in, especially as we still have an old DVD player in the form of Jack's old Xbox.
Some of the feel-good rom-coms I've been loving recently have included 'Love, Rosie' and 'Me Before You', whilst I also really enjoyed the film 'Breathe' about the real-life extraordinary Robin Cavendish and his wife, alongside classics like 'The Help' and 'The Blindside'.
Films, like books, need to be enjoyed more than once to really appreciate their message and so DVD's have officially made a joyous come-back in our house. The only problem now is finding more space on the shelves...
Write soon,
Molly x
Comments
Post a Comment