St Ives Adventures, Jack's 28th Birthday

 Tonight I am writing this post from a cute seaside themed room. I am writing on my phone after eating a supper of toast with peanut and coconut butter (my new favourite thing ever, it's delicious). The blind crinkled, with colours of stone and pinstripes in bottle blue showing in the cotton. It is closed, white pillows are stacked and a nautical themed light sits beside me, lighting the pages of Growing Goats And Girls (review to follow on my other book related blog!). 

I feel really cosy, really content and really happy. We have been in the small seaside village of St Ives, ('we' meaning Jack, Mama and Pop), since Friday afternoon when our little car trundled from Hatchbeauchamp in Somerset to cobbled streets and fishermen's cottages here in Cornwall. We stopped off at a pretty hotel there to break up the truly exhausting 6 and a half-hour journey from Cheshire to Cornwall and it made our yearly holiday all the more special. I have never been to Somerset before and I was charmed by the little village, where a book shop was found in a pillar red phone box and a lovely cookery book was promptly brought for 50p. 

I must admit the first few days here I found tough. The journey made me ache, and fatigue wracked my body, my heart beating so fast at the moment is just making everything harder. It was only yesterday (Tuesday) that I began to feel well enough to explore properly. It was a wonderful day and happened to be Jack's 28th Birthday. We started the day with Jack opening presents, these included a Dr Who magazine and book from his parents, and a Dr Who watch from my Mum and Dad, who found it through a collector online. As you can see Jack LOVES the show and was made up with his gifts. My present was a full selection of flapjacks he has fell in love with here, choosing brownie, original and clotted cream full sized flapjacks and caramel mini bites from The Flapjackery.

When we were up and dressed Jack went on a bracing walk up to the small Chapel on the island and whilst I rested and had lunch on the little balcony at our shared cottage, then I joined my Dad for a walk on the beach. It's the first time my toes had been in the sea this holiday and it felt glorious, and freezing. The water here is he clearest blue/green you can imagine. It is beautiful. After resting back at the cottage, Jack and I headed to Tate St Ives, (something I had rearranged from Saturday as I was too ill to go). 

Luckily Jack was up for a wander with me and we had the best time. It was the first time at this gallery for both of us and we were impressed with the beautiful layout, the sea able to be seen through panoramic glass on all levels, in contrast to the modern white walls of the building. It is honestly the best art gallery I've been to, for its sheer beauty architecturally, location (on the beach front) and it's display of art. The choice selected is exquisite. It is not crowded or pretentious and the gallery has plenty of seating, and is so very accommodating to disabled people. Tricia who sorted out rearranging our tickets was beyond helpful and our tickets were waiting for us on arrival. A lift takes you anywhere you want to go and to top it off the shop and restaurant on the top floor are great. The shop had so many cool and quirky items, many from independent makers, whilst the restaurant had the best views of the beach. I found Jack sitting enjoying a couple of drinks on the terrace, soaking up the sun (another birthday treat). 


After resting and watching Clarkson's Farm Series 3 we headed out for a meal at an Italian restaurant nearby called Peppers. Jack had the "best pizza" he's "ever had" (his words) - crispy duck with a honey and hoisn sauce dressing, whilst I had spaghetti bolognaise and we shared some chips. The food was so fresh and tasty, the windows were open to let the warm air in and it was so chilled in there. We had a wonderful time.


I hope to write soon and fill you in on more of our Cornwall adventures. Until next time, sleep well. 

Love,

Mol 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Probably the most personal post I will ever write) Feelings that no one tells you about when you're ill for a long period

Why it’s ok to feel depressed after a chronic illness and why it doesn’t make you a bad person, just a normal one.

VE - 75 years on